ORISHIKI is a bag brand inspired by the original concept of Naoki Kawamoto, the industrial designer who created the Reincarnation pieces on the 1st and 3rd floors for the Re-Birth in Ginza event.
Fusing Japanese culture with state-of-the-art technology, the exclusive design of this unique clutch bag is available in the METoA Ginza concept colors, yellow and silver.
ORISHIKI is a hybrid word composed of the root word ori, which means “to fold,” as in origami (the art of folding paper), and shiki, which means “to hold,” as in furoshiki (a square cloth traditionally used in Japan to wrap and carry items). As the name suggests, the ORISHIKI consists of a flat sheet made up of triangular segments that can be folded like origami to embrace items much like the traditional furoshiki does. This unique bag design transforms from two-dimensional to three-dimensional.
ORISHIKI is a type of bag and case inspired by the original concept of industrial designer Naoki Kawamoto, also the creator of the Reincarnation pieces on the 1st and 3rd floors of the Re-Birth in Ginza event. It features a unique foldable design that transforms from two-dimensional to three-dimensional.
ORISHIKI is a hybrid word composed of the root word ori, which means “to fold,” as in origami (the art of folding paper), and shiki, which means “to hold,” as in furoshiki (a square cloth traditionally used in Japan to wrap and carry items). As the name suggests, the ORISHIKI consists of a flat sheet made up of triangular panels that can be folded like origami to embrace items much like the traditional furoshiki does. The polyhedral sheet of connected triangular panels of different sizes folds up to create a unique, three-dimensional bag simply by snapping the panel magnets together.
The ORISHIKI surface and frame can be made from a variety of materials, using traditional craft techniques and leather, metal and wood, as well as state-of-the-art materials, to breathe life into the designers’ concept. ORISHIKI offers vast potential for designs that weave together traditional craft techniques with cutting-edge technology.
The exclusive METoA Ginza design is available only as a clutch bag. However, N and R Foldings Japan has designed an extensive line of bags and cases that include eyeglass cases, handbags, and suitcases. Find more information on the ORISHIKI line at the company’s official website.
ORISHIKI Clutch Bag
Exclusive METoA Ginza Design
Each clutch bag is created by hand incorporating the exclusive METoA Ginza design, with individual parts carefully treated applying quality processing. They are therefore available only as made-to-order bags. The METoA Ginza ORISHIKI clutch bag is available in an exclusive two-tone design—yellow and silver—the METoA Ginza concept colors.
The triangular panels are made of urethane-coated acrylic board. The frame is created using a 3D printer, and then painted and polished to a glossy finish. To form the bag, the panels are folded up and secured in place using the magnets located inside the frame. Fasten the interior lock to prevent the bag from opening accidentally. The lining is made of carefully selected materials that ensure a durable and reliable construction.
The triangular panels for the exclusive METoA Ginza ORISHIKI Clutch Bag are crafted at a studio in Osaka Prefecture, and the 3D printing of parts is done at a studio in Fukui Prefecture. These bags are a true collaboration of craftsmanship from around Japan.
ORISHIKI Clutch Bag
Exclusive METoA Ginza Design (Yellow/Silver)
|Size (W x D x H)||313 x 70 x 105mm folded
382 x 347 x 6.5mm flat
|Accepting orders from||March 31 to June 14, 2017 (tentative)|
|Price||350,000 yen（378,000yen Including tax）|
ORISHIKI designer Naoki Kawamoto
Industrial designer and the representative of N and R Foldings Japan. Born in Hiroshima in 1980. After studying environmental design in Tokyo, he moved to London to obtain master’s degrees in industrial design engineering at two universities. After working as a freelancer, he has been involved in various artist and corporate projects both in and outside of Japan.
N and R Foldings Japan utilizes the polyhedron in planning and developing a variety of ideas that turn flat surfaces into three-dimensional shapes. N and R work focuses on product design, as well as product planning, prototyping, modeling, and graphic design.
Purchasing the ORISHIKI Clutch Bag
To Place an Order
- Please fill out an ORISHIKI order form at the register counter on the 3rd floor of METoA Ginza. Please note that orders cannot be placed by telephone or online.
- Orders will be accepted for the duration of the current METoA Ginza event, Re-Birth in Ginza – Encounter a Bewildering World Created Using Recycled Home Appliances (scheduled for March 31 to June 14, 2017).
- Orders are to be paid in full at the time they are placed. Payment may be made in cash or by credit card.
- Please note that, once placed, orders may not be canceled, returned, or exchanged. Your kind understanding is appreciated.
- Bags are made-to-order. It will be approximately 40 days between order date and the day the bag can be picked up. Depending on the number of orders received, additional time may be required.
- Depending on production conditions, the pick-up date may be earlier or later than initially stated. The exact date will be confirmed by phone once it has been finalized.
- Orders may be picked up at the register counter on the 3rd floor of METoA Ginza. Please note that orders cannot be mailed or delivered by courier.
- Orders are, as a rule, to be picked up by the same individual who placed the order.
- Please bring the customer copy of the order form when picking up your order. Bags will not be presented without a product order form.